Domestic Violence is a crime - period.
It is not a family problem. It is not your fault. You cannot make someone hit you. You cannot fix it.
Leaving your Abuser
If you need to leave your home quickly, you absolutely should do so without delay. Leaving your abuser can be the most dangerous time for you so you should not do it alone. Let us help you.
- Call 911 for emergency assistance to keep you safe.
- The York County Sheriff’s Office will accompany you to your residence so that you may obtain clothing, medication or other items of personal property as are reasonably necessary for your comfort and well – being.
- Follow up with the Victim Assistance Unit for additional assistance and resources. The Victim Advocate can help you locate confidential shelter and file for a Domestic Violence Protection Order.
See section Harassment/Stalking for additional ways to remain safe.
Staying with the Abuser
If you are planning to stay in an abusive relationship, you should prepare an exit should your plans change.
- Gather birth certificates, social security cards, insurance cards and medication for you and your children. It could also be helpful to take photos of these items with your phone in case you cannot get to these items before you leave. Make sure that if you photograph the items that your phone is locked when you are not using it.
- Store some money and a few photographs of you and your children. If possible store these at a friend or relatives house but if not, store them in a place where you can get to them quickly. Find a safe place to store important items like a shoebox that is stacked with other shoeboxes, in a plastic bag in the bottom of a fake household plant, or some other place no one would suspect.
- Hide a vehicle key and house key outside of the house for a quick escape.
- Decide ahead of time where you will go when you leave. Have several places in mind in case you have to change your plans. If you need to go to a shelter, call 911.
See section Harassment and Stalking for additional ways to remain safe.