- The York County Sheriff’s Office was established in January 1786.
- There have been 34 people to serve as Sheriff of York County South Carolina since 1786.
- Kevin R. Tolson is the current Sheriff of York County, SC.
- The YCSO serves a 696 square mile area including 10 square miles of waterways.
- The York County Detention Center is a 565-bed direct supervision facility that holds individuals arrested by law enforcement agencies in York County. The Detention Center also houses inmates for the US Marshal Service and Immigration Customs Enforcement.
- YCSO has four district offices in the York, Clover/Lake Wylie, Rock Hill, and Fort Mill areas to better serve the public.
- York County Sheriff’s Office has a SWAT Team, Dive Team, Lake Patrol, Bike Patrol, Mounted Patrol, Negotiators and K-9 Unit
- There are seven Deputies that serve as school resource officers, in two high schools, three middle schools and 12 elementary schools in York County.
- The YCSO has been accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, Inc. (CALEA) since 2008. In November 2014 the YCSO was awarded accreditation with excellence. This is the highest level of accreditation to be achieved by CALEA for any law enforcement organization.
- YCSO has a law enforcement training center that is recognized by the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy as a Regional Training Facility.
- York County was the first county in South Carolina to implement the
Immigrationsand Customs Enforcement 287(g) program, which, working with ICE, helps identify criminal illegal aliens that have been arrested locally.
- The 287(g) program received a perfect inspection rating in 2013, 2014 & 2015 from Homeland Security.
- The Sheriff’s Office established a Forensic Biology DNA lab to be utilized by law enforcement agencies in York County; the lab is one of only five DNA labs in South
Carolina,and is internationally accredited by Forensic Quality Services - International (ANSI-ASQ National Accreditation Board).
- In 2017 York County Deputies made 47,635 calls for service with-in York County. In 2016 46,739 calls for service. In 2015 43,772.
- If anyone may have a tip that might help solve a crime they are asked to call Crime Stoppers of York County at 1-877-409-4321
**Updated as of 7/31/2018**